Saturday, May 11, 2013

Family

Good evening everyone,

I know you all have been waiting to hear more updates on Pat and I apologize for not posting the last few days.

Since the last post, Pat has had 2 more procedures to treat the vasospasms - one Wednesday, and another Friday morning. Both procedures were successful, in that the doctors were able to reopen the arteries that constricted without any complications. For now, the doctors will continue to monitor her closely and let her continue to rest.

I'm happy to report that Pat is still responsive to the cognitive tests the nurses are performing and she has been able to gesture when Mommy, Dorian, and I have visited. It's definitely encouraging to see her still recognize family and friends even with all that has been going on.

Part of the reason I haven't posted is because I've been doing a lot of praying over the past few days. Seeing my sister in this situation has been really difficult for me. The other day when I visited her was really overwhelming and I kept thinking, God what is your purpose for all of this? I'm definitely not questioning God, but I do believe things happen for a reason, but why Pat? And why now?

My main prayer has been that God use me in this situation as He sees fit - especially with this blog. I believe this is an opportunity to share more than just updates on Pat. This is an opportunity to share and encourage so that everyone who views this blog knows the God that Pat serves and seeks His purpose for their lives.

During this week of prayer, God kept placing one word on my heart... family. Pat and I didn't always behave sisterly. There was a division between us that affected our family. We would argue or go periods without speaking and say hurtful things to one another. And looking back, it hindered the both of us from being able to please God and fulfill his purpose. Although our relationship has been restored presently and we're continuing to grow, I can't help but wonder about all the missed opportunities I could have said I love you or embraced her.



I challenge you to think about family this week; and not only family related by blood, but anyone you have a relationship with. Is there someone you have discord with? Is it preventing you from pleasing God? God is calling all of us to come together as family - especially during a time like this. It is His desire that we love each other as brothers and sisters in Christ so that we work together for His kingdom.

Take the time to pray this week about any relationship with a family member that does not please God. Ask Him to mend your hearts and restore your relationship. Don't miss an opportunity to love them the way that God calls us to.


With Love,

Nikki

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the updates, Nikki. I'm glad to hear that Pat is doing well and I hope she makes a speedy recovery. I too will think about my own relationships and pray that God will bless me with the wisdom and compassion to maintain them.

    Congratulations on your newborn as well! Hope I get a chance to see you and the rest of the family this summer.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your response, Christine. You have grown into a beautiful young woman!

      And thank you! I can't wait for you to meet them =)

      Delete
  2. Wow. What a timely Post for me Nichole. Your challenge about prioritizing family relationships was convicting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strongly agree with you that He has a reason for allowing things to happen...

    You ask, "Why now?" You and I both know the road has been extremely rocky for a very long time. But just as it seems all is well, and the light at the end of that tunnel is finally peeking through, the foundation is shaken to it's core. That's why now. To impact us to the fullest -- in ways that force our growth through brokenness. Like the protective shell of a seed has to crack in order for the sprout grow, so do we. Life has a way of showering us with distraction and purpose, layered with toxins like hurt, pride, anger, discontent and apathy. That shell of self-absorption for all of us has been broken, and we are being stretched and bent and re-formed in ways that are surely in alignment with His will.

    "Why Pat?" Pat is the most giving person I know. Time and resources. But your sister would always decline reciprocation, or accept any sacrifice on her behalf. I seize this opportunity to give back to her because she deserves it. And what better time than when she's sleeping and can't object. :) For all the times Pat helped me with matters involving Tre', I hope I can be the one who serves her purposes to assist with her son. For all the time Pat spent sharing and researching information for my family, and following up with me on timelines and deadlines, I pray I can be of similar service to her family.

    And thank you for this blog. It not only serves as source of information, but it allows me to connect in a way that would be otherwise unavailable. Keep up the good work!

    Karen Brown

    ReplyDelete